Nothing like an easy 3o minutes dinner that is packed with protein and full of flavor. If you love the combo spinach and artichoke, then this recipe is for you. This meal only uses one pot, it is simple to make with fresh ingredients and easy to clean up so you can have a delicious and nutritious meal even on the busiest weeknights.
I usually serve this with white rice and some potato strings for the kids. If you don’t mind a bit of extra calories you can also top it off with some extra cheese before serving (mozzarella or asiago are great options).
If you are trying to stay away from the carbs, this is delicious on itself or with the following sides:
- Cauliflower rice – the perfect low carb pair for this recipe. To make it easier you can buy a frozen bag and just microwave it and toss it with some salt, pepper and olive oil. If you want to try it from scratch, here is a good recipe.
- Green salad – add even more nutrition with a green mix salad and sliced tomatoes as side.
Chicken with Spinach and Artichoke Sauce
- 4 Chicken breast
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cups Spinach
- 6 oz quartered artichoke hearts (1 jar, drained and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Milk (2%)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp roasted chicken base (Better than Bouillon)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp parmesan (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt (add more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- Season the chicken breast on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil over medium heat on a cast iron or skillet. Sauté each side for about 5-6 minutes, until fully cooked and slightly brown. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate.
- On the same skillet (do not wash or turn off the heat) add the butter and chopped onions. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add the flour and stir everything together for about a minute or so.
- Add the water, milk and parmesan and simmer together until sauce thickens. Reduce the heat to low and add the spinach and artichoke and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet or top off the chicken with the sauce on a serving tray.
- You can replace the milk with coconut milk, butter with ghee and omit the parmesan to make this lactose free.
- Serve with brown or white rice topped with parsley if you want to add more carbs to your meal.