If you are looking for an easy way to make an amazing Chicken Cassoulet look no further. We used canned beans and diced tomatoes to facilitate this process. French inspired dish made it easy. One pot dish super easy to put together. This is the perfect weeknight meal for those looking for comfort warm food.
Let’s get to it!
Note: I used this Cajun Seasoning recipe for this Cassoulet.
Easy Chicken and Sausage Cassoulet
- Dutch Oven
- 6 chicken thighs cut in half
- 12 oz turkey sausage (Kielbasa) sliced
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 2 galic gloves minced
- 1 can diced tomato (with juice)
- 2 cans white beans Great Northern (drained)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp roasted chicken base
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp cajun spice to season the chicken (see notes)
- 2 tbsp thyme fresh is best
- 1 tbsp rosemary
For the topping
- 2 French rolls cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp parmesan
- 1 tbsp salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pre heat oven to 325°F
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large Dutch Oven. Add the chicken (seasoned with Cajun spice) and sausage cook in medium high until starts to brown (5 minutes). Add: onion, garlic, carrots and celery and cook for about 5 minutes. Add wine, bay leaves and thyme and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomato with juice, water, chicken base and one can of the white beans. Stir to combine. Cover and bake for 1.5 hrs. While this is cooking pour yourself some wine and go make the topping. Remove Dutch Oven for oven, add second can of white bean (drained). Stir to combine. Increase oven temperature to 425°F.While the oven is heating up, place the Dutch Oven back on medium high heat and let some of the water evaporate (if too much is still left). Add the bread crump topping and place the pot back in the oven (no lid this time).Let it cook for additional 15 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
Bread Crumb Topping
- Slice the bread into thirds and place in the oven (325 – 350°F) for 15 minutes (until it is turning brown and crisp). Let sit to cool to room temp.
- Add sliced bread, chopped parsley (fresh), olive oil, parmesan, salt and pepper into a food processor. Pulse until reach desired consistency. I like to make it chunkier – not overly processed.