If you love enchiladas this recipe checks all the boxes. It is super easy to put it together and you won’t even need to wash any pots in the end. The chicken is cooked in a slow cooker with its own juice and salsa verde. I used Herdez mild salsa, but feel free to use your favorite brand and go spicier if you want.
The twist on this recipe if the seasoned potatoes that are cooked in the air fryer. It adds a great flavor and texture to the filling.
The recipe yields 8 large enchiladas. Each enchilada has 288 calories, 11 grams of fat and 33g of protein.
Healthy Green Chicken Enchiladas (Macro Friendly)
Flour tortilla filled with seasoned potatoes, refried beans and chicken slow cooked in green salsa.
- 1 Slow Cooker
- 4 Chicken Breast
- 32 oz Herdez Salsa Verde mild
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 Russet Potatoes cubed
- 1 can Refried Beans
- 8 Mission flour tortilla Large
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese
- 4 oz light sour cream
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- pan spray
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Start by preparing the seasoning for the chicken and potatoes. Mix in cumin, garlic, smoked paprika, powder onion and salt. Set one tbsp of the mixture for the potatoes and coat the 4-chicken breast with the remaining of it.
- Add seasoned chicken, chopped onions and 16 oz of Herdez mild green salsa to the slow cooked and set it up to cook on high for about 3 hours.
- When you are about 30 minutes from the chicken being cooked, you can start prepping the seasoned potatoes. Remove the skin from the potatoes and cut them in small cubes of about 1/2 inch. Spray them with Pan spray and season it with the 1tbsp of the seasoning you prepared on step 1. Mix it well to spread the seasoning evenly. Add it to the Air Fryer and bake it at 400F for about 15 minutes (until crispy). If you don't have an air fryer you can use the oven or even a pan.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, shred it with a fork or food processor. Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and mix it in with the juices.
- Now it is time to build it. Start with the refried beans and then add the chicken, potatoes and top it with some fresh cilantro. I used the large tortilla and divided the ingredients on 8 even portions to fill in all tortillas. I did not use cheese on the filling to keep total fat low.
- Spray a large baking tray with pan spray and place your enchiladas on it.
- On a large bowl combine the remaining 16oz of green salsa with the light sour cream, mix well and pour the mix on top of the tortillas. Top it with cheddar cheese and bake it at 375F for approximately 30 minutes.
- Top it with fresh cilantro and serve it with lime wedges and extra sour cream if desired.
I prefer to keep my recipes mild and family friendly but if you enjoy spicy you can use a medium or spicy green salsa.
Calories: 283kcalCarbohydrates: 50gProtein: 33gFat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0.01gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 2095mgPotassium: 496mgFiber: 4gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 448IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 99mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!