Chicken with Spinach and Artichoke Sauce
Tender seared chicken breast covered in a light spinach and artichoke sauce. 30 minutes weeknight low carb dinner!
- 4 Chicken breast
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cups Spinach
- 6 oz quartered artichoke hearts (1 jar, drained and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Milk (2%)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp roasted chicken base (Better than Bouillon)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp parmesan (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt (add more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (to taste)
Season the chicken breast on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil over medium heat on a cast iron or skillet. Sauté each side for about 5-6 minutes, until fully cooked and slightly brown. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate.
On the same skillet (do not wash or turn off the heat) add the butter and chopped onions. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add the flour and stir everything together for about a minute or so.
Add the water, milk and parmesan and simmer together until sauce thickens. Reduce the heat to low and add the spinach and artichoke and cook for a couple more minutes.
Return the chicken to the skillet or top off the chicken with the sauce on a serving tray.
- You can replace the milk with coconut milk, butter with ghee and omit the parmesan to make this lactose free.
- Serve with brown or white rice topped with parsley if you want to add more carbs to your meal.
Calories: 196kcalCarbohydrates: 6gProtein: 40gFat: 10gSodium: 739mg